What a unique honor and feat when gymnasts get skills named after them! To do so, gymnasts must successfully complete a skill at a World Championships or an Olympic Games.
Four black U.S. gymnasts have skills named after them that are still included in the current FIG Code of Points.
– Uneven bars: clear underswing with 180 degree twist to back flip in stretched position
– Balance beam: triple turn on one leg
– High bar: Tkatchev with a half turn prior to the catch to a mixed el-grip and swing back up to handstand
– Floor exercise: Double layout half out
– Still rings: Triple back pike dismount
We are proud to salute these gymnasts who added something new to the sport while at the top of their game!